Last week we talked about some of the reasons why the oil you choose to cook with MATTERS! I thought this week I would highlight my 2 favourite cooking oils – Avocado oil and Coconut Oil.
Avocado oil is super versatile and it has replaced my everyday cooking oils like olive oil and canola oil when frying things up on the stove, or tossing my veggies to be roasted in. It doesn’t have a strong flavour, so you can use it on anything. It is not overly expensive, however it costs a bit more than our usual canola oil.
I read an article on the benefits of avocado oil and thought I would share the highlights they listed:
- The most abundant fatty acid in avocado oil is oleic acid, a fatty acid that provides numerous health benefits.
- A few studies in animals show that avocado oil may benefit heart health, including reduced blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels.
- Lutein is a carotenoid found in avocado oil. This nutrient improves eye health and may lower the risk of age-related eye diseases.
- There is good reason to include a healthy fat source like avocado oil when eating vegetables, as it may increase the absorption of carotenoid antioxidants up to 17-fold.
- Multiple studies have reported that a combination of avocado and soybean oil extract may relieve the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- Avocado and soybean oil extracts show anti-inflammatory effects by blocking a protein that causes tissue and bone loss.
- One small study in humans found that a vitamin B12 cream containing avocado oil improved symptoms of psoriasis. Studies in rats have found that avocado oil promotes faster healing of wounds.
- In rats, avocado oil is able to enter cell mitochondria and decrease the production of harmful free radicals.
Coconut oil is a strong flavoured oil, so make sure you remember that when deciding what to use it for. I find it great for baking and frying. I specifically enjoy frying veggies in it, as it gives them a wonderful hint of cocunut flavour. Any picky eaters you know will appreciate it!
Healthline has a great article about Coconut Oil’s benefits too! I’ve listed the highlights for you below.
- Coconut oil is high in fats called medium chain triglycerides, which are metabolized differently than most other fats. These special fats are responsible for a lot of the health benefits of coconut oil.
- Several populations around the world have thrived for multiple generations eating massive amounts of coconut.
- The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil have been shown to increase calories burned over 24 hours by as much as 5%.
- The fatty acids in coconut oil can kill harmful pathogens, including bacteria, viruses and fungi. This could potentially help to prevent infections.
- The fatty acids in coconut oil can significantly reduce appetite, which may lead to reduced body weight over the long term.
- The MCTs in coconut oil can increase blood concentration of ketone bodies, which can help reduce seizures in epileptic children.
- A few studies have shown that coconut oil can raise blood levels of HDL cholesterol, which is linked to improved metabolic health and a lower risk of heart disease.
Hopefully the next time you go to the grocery store you pick up one of these wonderful oils! I promise you won’t be disappointed!